Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sometimes It's The Little Things


Isn't it funny how something so small can set off your emotions in an instant? The other day my dad changed his email address. Something so simple...but held so much meaning. His old email address was a combination of my parents' names. Now it's just his name.

I never would've thought this would have upset me, but it did. When I read the email he sent out to his address book and read the line: "EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: I am changing my email address," I felt like someone had punched me in the gut. Literally. My stomach clenched and my face grew hot (I didn't cry because honestly, after everything that's happened, I have no tears left.)

So I just stared at the computer, wondering how my life had reached this point. Wondering how my parents had gotten to the point where they can't stand to live with one another anymore. It wasn't the email address change that upset me--it was what it symbolized. The ending of one life and the beginning of two separate, individual lives. A change I didn't ask for and quite frankly, am not ready to accept.

But I have to. Life goes on. Things change. And if I can be so honest...I hate that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...