Friday, March 25, 2011

A Cause for Celebration?


Today is a good day. And you know what? I'm going to embrace it.

I had dinner tonight with one of my bestfriends, who told me that she thinks I'm doing really well considering everything that's going on. That made me feel really good. To be honest, I don't take time to evaluate how I'm doing. I focus on my heartache and how it hurts to get out of bed some mornings. I focus on how unsure I am about what the future holds. I definitely don't focus on the small steps I'm taking towards being healthier, both physically and emotionally. But maybe I should start.

How often do we ACOD's beat ourselves up for a situation we cannot control? For crying over something that we should be able to handle like adults? We berate ourselves for longing for a life we used to have, but has been taken from us. But what about the times when we focus on ourselves and the good things that are happening in our lives? I think it's important to take time to celebrate when we have those good days. To celebrate the fact that we made it through another day and are still standing. It may seem so simple, but it's a huge accomplishment. Getting out of bed in the morning and getting dressed is an accomplishment. It's a sign that we're making the effort (no matter how small) to move on with our lives.

For all of you out there struggling with a parents' divorce, or with another unexpected situation in life, I applaud you. I applaud you for continuing to live your lives. It may be a daily struggle, but we're still putting one foot in front of the other. And that's all we can ask of ourselves right now.

If you're struggling and need someone to talk to, I'm always here. Just email acod16@gmail.com.

2 comments:

Grace said...

Thank you so much for this post. Your blog has become a lifeline for me especially in the last few days. This past Sunday I discovered on accident that my father has been lying to us and has been not only committing adultery but has been living with the woman in secret. Balancing life, being a wife, being a mom, all the things that go along with that while also grieving is so incredibly difficult. So, this post was so timely as I am trying to put one foot in front of the other. Thank you so much for sharing your story. People like me feel so much less alone because of it.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Grace. Your comment really meant alot to me. I'm glad you were able to identify with this post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...