Saturday, March 5, 2011

Remarriage



I've found myself thinking alot about remarriage ever since my parents began the process of divorcing. I realize it's a little early to think about this since the divorce is still a few months away from being finalized, but I can't stop. It's naiive of me to think that one or both of my parents won't remarry. I know it will happen eventually. And that makes me furious. I hate the fact that someone new is going to enter my life. I've lived 24 years one way and I'm not prepared to accept anyone new. I know I probably sound like a child, but I'll be honest...I definitely revert back to childish tendencies in the midst of my parents' divorce. I'm not going to apologize for it. If we're all honest, I think most ACOD's do feel like they're children again, fighting for the way life used to be.

No matter how hard I try, I can't even envision one or both of my parents getting married again. My brain can't comprehend it. Yet I know I need to be prepared for it. It's just another thing I'm forced to adjust to. That's what's so unfair about divorce. Even though you didn't make the choice, you're still forced to deal with the repercussions. I just don't know if I can deal with someone new in my parents' lives. I don't know if I have the strength to see my parents with someone new. It'll just remind me of the fact that they couldn't make it work.

I'm sure many of you ACOD's have dealt with a parent's remarriage. How did you handle it at first? Did you eventually learn to accept it? I would love some advice on this difficult subject...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...